Have you ever seen the guacamole in the grocery store that’s all weirdly green looking? You think it’s a good idea to pick it up and take it home for your party or just a party of one on the couch. And then you open it up, it gets kind of weirdly brown immediately and it doesn’t really taste like avocado. It has a strange flavor, not like avocado, rarely spicy at all. It’s just some weird sort of green gook. The first time I made my own, I was shocked at how simple it was. And now I’m going to show you how easy (and so much better!) the homemade version can be.
One of my all time favorite snacks is guacamole. This could be because of my severe addiction to avocado or just because guac is pretty darn amazing. I order it out pretty much any time it’s available, but it wasn’t until a year or two ago I started making my own at home. Once you try it yourself, there’s really no going back to store-bought. Especially, especially, when it comes to needing something quick and fast (and delicious!) at home.
There’s really only a few ingredients – avocado, lime, garlic, jalapeño, salt & a little cayenne pepper. That’s it! I mean, you can get fancy and toss in some cilantro or tomatoes as well. It’s really up to your personal taste. If you don’t like too much spice, turn down the jalapeño and cayenne. Want more? Add more. Any way you throw it together you’re bound to be one happy camper.
All you really need is a fork and a bowl for preparing it, and you can even serve right in that bowl too. It takes 5 minutes, tops. Simply toss everything in the bowl, mix it all together with your fork, and you’re set. Serve with your favorite chips (I like blue corn) and try not to eat it all in one sitting. I dare you.
Super Simple Guacamole
What You’ll Need:
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded & chopped finely
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
What You’ll Do:
- Slice the avocados and toss in a bowl with the jalapeño.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the bowl and a dash of salt.
- Using a fork, or potato masher if you’re fancy, start mashing the avocado and stirring until it’s broken down a bit and the jalapeño and lime is incorporated.
- Add cayenne and more salt to taste.
- Serve with chips, veggies, whatever your heart desires. & try not to lick the bowl…at least if you’ve got company. 🙂