Well I think it’s safe to say summer is here! I was a bit worried that we had missed spring while we were gone most of May – and I may have been right. But after this winter I’ll gladly take whatever heat I can get – especially if it means an excuse to experiment with more vegan ice cream options. The first time I managed to pull off vegan ice cream, I was actually shocked. But also inspired. It seemed like the possibilities could be endless! I figured out a base – and isn’t that really the hardest part?
One of my most favorite flavors of ice cream is mint chocolate chip. There’s just something about the crisp mint mixed with the sweet chocolate that makes my tastebuds sing. I decided it simply had to be my next ice cream attempt, and I was so happy with the turnout. It was a minty sweet treat that is absolutely perfect for summer. I’ll definitely be whipping this up time and time again for the next few months – and who knows – maybe even into winter!
One of the best things about this ice cream (aside from it’s deliciousness) is how completely easy it is to throw together. The ingredients are minimal, just bananas, coconut cream, chocolate chips, and peppermint oil. With just a little bit of planning ahead – throwing some peeled bananas into the freezer – and a little bit of patience while it solidifies a bit in the freezer – you’ll be enjoying a more healthy ice cream option in no time!
When R taste tested he asked – if you use bananas will it taste like banana? Well yes, a little bit. A tiny bit. A hint of banana. But the peppermint is quite overpowering for the mild banana flavor and I actually think the banana gives it a little hint of sweet as well. R obviously agreed…he ate his bowl in seconds flat.
I opted to use the same method I did last time – using frozen ingredients in the food processor and then freezing the mixture for it to harden a bit more. If you like a soft-serve consistency, you can eat it immediately from the processor. If you go the freezer route, I found it best to take it out of the freezer for about 10 minutes before serving to make the scooping process a bit easier. Either way, you’re going to end up with a refreshing and delicious dessert with less guilt that’s just in time for summer.
Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
What You’ll Need:
- 2 bananas, peeled & frozen
- 3/4 cup coconut cream (buy a can of full-fat coconut milk, don’t shake it, and take the cream that rises to the top of the can)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint oil
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks
What You’ll Do:
- Start by peeling and freezing your bananas the night before. It’s easiest to cut them a bit before freezing. I find a mason jar works wonders to store them in.
- The next day (or whenever you get around to it) place the bananas, coconut cream, and peppermint oil into a food processor. Process until the mixture becomes like a soft-serve consistency and there doesn’t appear to be any large chunks of bananas.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few times until they are broken up within the mixture but not completely blended in.
- At this point, you can serve immediately for a soft-serve consistency. Or place in an airtight container and freeze for 3 or more hours for a more traditional ice cream consistency. When freezing, remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving to allow easier scooping. Enjoy!
Hey! Be sure to enter my really cool giveaway! I think that you’d like it. 🙂
Thanks, Emory – I’ll check it out!
Banana ice cream is my new favorite treat! So simple and delicious – I’ll definitely be giving this recipe a try!
Isn’t it a great base? And so so versatile. Let me know how it turns out for you! 🙂
yumm! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
yum yum yummm!
This one is definitely a winner! 🙂
Ooh yes, it is on my list for tomorrow! 😊
This looks amazing! I shared it with my followers on FB. I can’t wait to try it!
Awww thanks so much! 😊
Reblogged this on greensypants and commented:
looks soooooo good!
Pingback: My Favorite Vegan & Gluten-free Substitutions | Girl Eats Greens·