Yes, yes, it’s Tuesday. And this is a recipe post. But I haven’t quite figured out which travel post to put up next and I was playing around in the kitchen and came up with a new recipe and I just didn’t want to wait till Saturday to post it. It’s one of those blogging issues I struggle with. Staying on a schedule and plan while maintaining a full time job and a social life sometimes makes the blog take a backseat. This is all to say – I’ve decided to go rogue on myself (?) – and share an extra recipe this week. You’re welcome!
I made these little muffins – and I mean little, they’re mini – as a way to encourage me to get to the gym in the morning. I’ve been having a hard time getting going in the mornings lately, I’m not sure why. But I thought mini muffins would make the morning a bit easier. I always try to eat a little something before going to the gym so, you know, I don’t faint in yoga. But I don’t want to eat a ton because then I might throw up in yoga. And when I’m heading to the gym, I leave at the very last possible minute, so if I can grab something for my 4 block walk that’s even better. Individually wrapped and easy to take to-go? Mini muffins are perfect.
I had picked up some pecans to snack on at work and when I was dreaming up a pre-gym snack I thought I should use them in the muffins instead. I had a couple bananas laying around and it just clicked. Bananas and nuts go so well together in banana bread, so why not in a muffin too?
I whipped them up pretty quickly, muffins are generally pretty easy to toss together. It’s all a pretty simple formula, some dry ingredients, some wet ingredients, and then mix them each separately and then add the wet to the dry. The only tricky part is getting the ratio right.
Because I was looking for these to be pretty breakfast-friendly, I added some oats to whole wheat flour and they added just the right amount of bulk. I chopped a bunch of the pecans to add to the batter, but then I thought it would look really cute to put a pecan on top just for aesthetics.
Pop them into the oven for a little bit and they’re good to go. They were just what I was looking for – super easy to grab on my way out the door and they were just enough to be substantial but not too heavy that I felt super full. Two did the trick for the early morning yoga, but they were also pretty perfect as an afternoon snack. If you’re looking for an easy recipe to get you going out the door in the morning, give this one a try.
Maple Pecan Banana Oat Mini Muffins
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other milk)
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, plus 35 whole for topping
- dash salt
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in one bowl
- Mix together all the wet ingredients in another bowl
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until there are no clumps of dry ingredients, but don’t over mix
- Place paper liners in the muffin tins or grease the muffin tins
- Fill the tins about 3/4 of the way full with batter and top each muffin with a whole pecan
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let cool and then enjoy!